Tips & Recipes for In-Season Eating, by CSM Owner Megan Squire
Here’s a great easy way to use up some fading blueberries.
2T brown sugar
1/4 cup oats
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed
1. Mix the brown sugar, half the cinnamon, and the oats in a small bowl. This is the topping.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the eggs and the vanilla.
3. Mix the dry ingredients together in another bowl. (flour, soda, powder, salt, remaining 1/2 t. cinnamon).
4. Stir in sugar mixture and buttermilk, about 1/3 of each at a time. Alternate between them.
5. Fold in blueberries.
6. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
7. Top each muffin with a bit of the oat/brown sugar mixture.
8. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until the muffins are golden on top. You can do a toothpick test to see if they are done inside too.